ISSUING A CERTIFICATE OF PERMANENT RESIDENCE
Please note that for issuing a certificate of permanent residence for military service exemption or other purposes you must send all relevant documentation, as outlined below, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject should include the words “Permanent Residence Certificate”.
The fee for this service is £/UKP 9. This is paid via bank transfer to the following account:
The High Commission for the Republic of Cyprus
SORT CODE: 30-65-41
Account Number: 45776568
You will receive the certificate by post and therefore you must provide us with a signed for / prepaid envelope clearly referring the name of the applicant. Alternatively, you can collect your Certificate in person from Monday – Friday, from 9:30 to 13:00.
Please address the above to:
Consulate General of the Republic of Cyprus
(for Permanent Residence Certificate)
13 St. James’s Square
- Necessary Documentation
- Proof of payment/copy of the bank transfer of £9.
- Birth certificate of the applicant or copy of IDs and/or passports of the applicant and their parents.
- Proof of salary (P60, P45 forms) of the parents and the applicant (if they are employed).
- Income Tax Contribution Certificate and /or State Benefits proof and / or Statement of Social Security Contributions of the parents of the applicant or the applicant (if they are employed).
- Proof of address of residence: water or electricity bills, council tax or copies of bank statements.
- Progress Report from Schools and / or official letter from Schools / Colleges / Universities for the complete years of study.
2. Essential Notes
Applicants are requested to submit copies of the original documents as outlined above. The applicants must be prepared to present, upon request, the original documentation.
Provided that the above information is submitted in full and correctly, the certificates will be issued within twenty working days.
The Consulate General reserves the right to request further information if and when it is deemed appropriate. In such a case, the certificate will be issued in an additional ten working days from the completed receipt of the requested additional information.
All the above required and additional evidence that may be requested relate exclusively and solely to the period of stay in the UK and not in any period that the applicant lived in Cyprus or anywhere else.
The Certificate of Permanent Residency applies for every occasion that relates to military duties. People who have completed their military obligations and are asked to serve again as reserves, need to apply for the Certificate of Permanent Residence with the necessary documentation as listed above.
Applicants can also submit the above information to the local Honorary Consulates of Cyprus in the UK. Provided that the information submitted is complete, the certificates in this case will be issued within fifteen working days, excluding the days of postage.
The certificates will be sent by regular mail. The Consulate General assumes no responsibility for delays or for any loss. The same applies for Certificates issued directly by the Consulate General, and which the applicants request to have them posted.
The Consulate General will make all the effort to immediately check the submitted information and give instant advice to the applicant. If this is complete and correct, the Certificate will be sent without any further notice. If not, a member of the staff will contact to advice further.
VISITS TO CYPRUS OF OVERSEAS CYPRIOTS ELIGIBLE FOR MILITARY SERVICE
Before departing from Cyprus, those aged 16-26 and are eligible for military service require an Exit Permit which is issued by the Ministry of Defence and local District Military Offices in Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos.
HOW TO OBTAIN AN EXIT PERMIT
For persons aged 16-26 who are required to obtain an exit permit can do so by visiting the local military office whilst in Cyprus with their passport and their return ticket. They must have also with them, the certificate of permanent residence.
In accordance with the provisions of the Law relating to National Guard, there is compulsory military service for all male citizens of the Republic of Cyprus including persons of Cypriot descent on the male side, who are resident of the Republic. The obligation commences in the year the person becomes 18 and continues to the year of his 50th birthday.
MILITARY OBLIGATIONS OF PERSONS WHO ARE NOT CYPRIOT CITIZENS BUT ARE OF CYPRIOT DESCENT
All those who are not Cypriot citizens but are of Cypriot descent (even if they had not acquired Cypriot citizenship), were born in 1960 or after, and reside in the Republic are obliged to do military service.
PERSONS WHO ARE EXEMPT FROM COMPULSORY MILITARY SERVICE
Those exempt from military service include those who live permanently abroad for as long as they continue to reside in third countries.
The following are also exempt:
- Persons of dual Cypriot and Greek citizenship provided that during their permanent residence in Greece they fulfilled (and did not buy themselves out) of their obligation to serve in the Greek Army as provided for in the law of the Hellenic Republic,
- All those who at the date of conscription have four or more dependants i.e. all those with a spouse/civil partner and have three or more children who are minors,
- All those who upon conscription are considered unsuitable for military service for health reasons,
- The oldest or the only son of the family whose father or brother was killed or went missing while serving in the National Guard.
ADDRESSES AND CONTACT DETAILS OF THE MINISTRY OF DEFENCE AND LOCAL MILITARY OFFICES
Ministry of Defence
5 Emmanuel Roides Ave.
Tel.(Exit Permits, Deferments, Exemptions): +357 22 807542-3
Fax:+357 22 362605
Nicosia Enlistment Office
5, Zaimi str., Strovolos, Nicosia
Tel.: +357 22 515238, 22417130, 22 417131
Fax: +357 22-515261
Famagusta/Larnaca Enlistment Office
Tel.: +357 24-625376, 24-411300, 24-411302
Fax: +357 24-653991
Limassol Enlistment Office
168, Ayias Fylaxeos str.,
Tel.: +357 25 369850, 25 413367, 25-342382
Fax: +357 25-351043
Paphos Enlistment Office
Paphos New Government Offices, Block A
Tel.: +357 26-413949, 26-413916, 26-933270
Fax: +357 26-222035