Cypriots who are permanent residents of the UK are eligible to obtain Cypriot citizenship due to descent from Cyprus. Dual citizenship/nationality is allowed both in Cyprus and in the UK.
For general information and guidance so as to establish which application you need the criteria for, you need to consult the website of the Civil Registry & Migration Department of the Ministry of Interior.
Please note that if the birth of the applicant took place out of wedlock / civil union, the procedure of legal recognition must be followed, as provided in the Law on Children (Kinship and Legal Status) 187/1991, Articles 16-17. This process can only be done in a District Court in Cyprus, witnessed by a Court Registar. With the completion of this process an application for citizenship can be filed either in the Consulate General in London or in a Citizen’s Centre in Cyprus or at the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia.
You will need an appointment to submit your documents/review your case. To book, please click here
* PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NOW NEED TO LEGALISE/APOSTILLE ANY UK DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE APPLICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP (i.e. BIRTH, DEATH OR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES). We always require to see the original documents. British Passports DO NOT need the apostille stamp. For all necessary information regarding the apostille stamp, please click here.
Please also note that your original birth certificate needs to be the full one which includes reference to your parents’ names (not the old ‘short’ version) and that the original will be submitted to the Civil Registry & Migration Department in Nicosia and will not be returned to the applicant.
For more information, please visit the following link: Get your document legalised – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
1.Registration of Persons of Cypriot Origin as Citizens of the Republic of Cyprus and the Acquisition of Cypriot Citizenship
Any person with Cypriot origin who wishes to obtain Cypriot citizenship by descent please consult the information provided by the Civil Registry and Migration Department of the Republic of Cyprus by clicking here.
PLEASE NOTE ALL FEES FOR THE CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT APPLICATION FORMS ARE PAYABLE IN £/UKP (not in Euro). We only accept debit/credit card payments. Our price list is updated monthly on our main webpage.
At the end of this page you will also find the applications for each category.
Please note that dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries, including Cyprus. For more info click here
For acquisition of Cypriot citizenship as a spouse of a Cypriot Citizen please find all relevant information by clicking here
2. Registration of newborns/minors
For the registration of newborns/minors you will have to book an appointment, through our website, under Category A: Appointments for the acquisition of Cypriot Citizenship (by British and other third country nationals).
- Original Birth Certificate, legalised by the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office with the Apostille stamp. The certificate must be complete and contain the names of both parents. To get the Apostille stamp for your documents please visit https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
- Copies of Cypriot ID Cards and Passports of the parents. If the parents or the child possess a British Passport or any other Passport, they must present them at the appointment. A copy will be held with the application.
- Parents’ Marriage Certificate. If the marriage took place in Cyprus, a certificate from the Church of Cyprus is accepted. If it took place in the United Kingdom, the British Certificate needs to be certified by the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office with the Apostille stamp. To get the Apostille stamp for your documents please visit https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
- If the birth of the child took place out of wedlock / civil union, the procedure of recognition of a child must be followed, as provided in the Law on Children (Kinship and Legal Status) 187/1991, Articles 16-17. To this end, and if we confirm that the child is entitled to the Cypriot Citizenship (at least one of the parents must have been a registered Cypriot national at the time of birth), then an Emergency Travel Document/Temporary Passport can be issued (for which you can find more here) so that you can fly to Cyprus to complete the child’s registration. A Sworn Statement is signed to this end.
The physical presence of the newborn/minor is not required during the application for the acquisition of Cypriot Citizenship.
3. Delayed registration of births
For those persons of Cypriot origin, born in the Republic of Cyprus, who were not registered at the time of their birth, and now reside in the United Kingdom, they must apply directly to the District Administration Office in the district they were born with the following documentation:
- Affidavit sworn before a Notary Public (verified by the Cyprus Consulate in London)
- Original birth certificate
- Valid Photo Identification (i.e. passport; ID card; Driving license)
- Parents’ Republic of Cyprus documentation (i.e. Birth Certificates, Passports, ID cards)
- Marriage Certificate (where a marriage has taken place)
4. Re-Issue of birth certificate
For those persons of Cypriot origin, born in the Republic of Cyprus, who require a replacement birth certificate must apply directly to the District Administration Office in the district they were born with the following documentation:
- Republic of Cyprus birth certificate
- Photocopy of Valid Photo Identification (i.e. passport; Id card; Driving license)
Fees (£5 payable in postal orders)
Please note that in cases where a copy of the birth certificate is not available it is advised that applicants forward photocopies of parents’ Republic of Cyprus documentation.
5. Death Certificates
Applications for the registration of death of a Cypriot citizen who died abroad are submitted to the Registry Office in the local District Administration Office, with the following documentation:
- Form M.138 (obtainable from the Local District Administration Offices)
- Death certificate from the country where the death occurred
Fees (£5 payable in postal orders)
6. District Administration Offices in Cyprus
Please visit the website of the District Administration Offices of the Ministry of Interior for any further information and contact details by clicking here.